Monday 12 May 2014

"Ask Me Anything" - questions I heard at Afrika Burn

I spent 28th April to 5th May in Tankwa Karoo for Afrika Burn. My "gift" was to set up shop along a well-travelled road - the "Binnekring" - in a deckchair, with an umbrella and a sign saying "Ask Me Anything".


Many people came up to me to ask questions, and to listen to the questions others were asking. I attempted to answer any question I received as honestly as possible, including saying "I don't know". I also wrote down all the questions as best I could. Some of the questions quoted here are paraphrases, and I also missed writing some down if I received a large number in a short space of time. What follows is a transcription of my actual notes, in the order I wrote them down.


  1. What's the answer to world peace?
  2. Where's the kite camp?
  3. How much tequila should I drink?
  4. What's it all about?
  5. Do you go on Reddit often?
  6. Where is the centre of the universe?
  7. Where can we get  cellphone reception?
  8. Do you have Google?
  9. How is your GPS working?
  10. How does a car exhaust catalyst work?
  11. How does advertising work?
  12. What are the seven deadly sins?
  13. How old am I?
  14. How old am I?
  15. What is my favourite colour?
  16. What is the most interesting question you've been asked today?
  17. What is the time?
  18. [Some mathematical gibberish]
  19. How many people live on Mars?
  20. What am I going to do today?
  21. How are you?
  22. Do you know anyone gifting party bags?
  23. Would you like a cigarette?
  24. What is the meaning of life?
  25. Why are we here?
  26. Have you got any acid?
  27. What's your name?
  28. What's your favourite colour?
  29. Can we use your shade while we're working?
  30. Are you enjoying yourself?
  31. Are you in the right business?
  32. Are you writing down the questions?
  33. Is the point of this to find out what questions people will ask?
  34. Are you enjoying yourself?
  35. Did you have a good time last night?
  36. What did you do?
  37. What are you studying?
  38. Do you have Google?
  39. Is Jesus real?
  40. How old am I?
  41. Where is the Love Space?
  42. What's my name?
  43. Which way is the prevailing wind?
  44. Where can I buy ice?
  45. Which dinosaur had three horns?
  46. Which dinosaur was the biggest plant-eater?
  47. What is the most important thing?
  48. Anything?
  49. Which dinosaur was the biggest meat-eater?
  50. What is the group name for plant-eaters?
  51. What's your name?
  52. Are you a scientist or something?
  53. What was the first dinosaur to fly?
  54. Are you expecting more questions about Afrika Burn?
  55. What's the answer?
  56. What's the time?
  57. What's the time?
  58. You've heard that douchebag question before?
  59. Does my dad ride a motorbike or not?
  60. Do you know I ride a dirtbike too?
  61. Can I use some water for my hands?
  62. Can we use some of your shade?
  63. Do you know where Radio Aaarrr is?
  64. How about the recording studio on this side?
  65. Is life fair?
  66. Is this your gift?
  67. What's your name?
  68. Do you know where Michelle is?
  69. What going on here?
  70. What's it all about?
  71. What's the population of China?
  72. Why are these rocks flat?
  73. How many toes does a penguin have?
  74. What would a chair look like if our legs bent the other way?
  75. What is the most interesting question you've been asked today?
  76. What question would you ask if you could ask one?
  77. What must I ask you?
  78. Are these just the questions people ask?
  79. Do you know where my friend Gemma is?
  80. Who would win in a fight between Winnie the Pooh and Scooby Doo?
  81. Do you think it's possible to have fun every day?
  82. Who would win in a fight between a fully grown male gorilla and a fully grown male lion?
  83. What is the wind going to be like on Saturday?
  84. Do you think we choose this existence?
  85. Why can't I find love?
  86. Would you fuck a male rhino to save the whole species?
  87. Why did Europe colonise Africa?
  88. Star Wars or Star Trek?
  89. What time did you wake up this morning?
  90. Will we see you later?
  91. Can we hang out and listen to some questions?
  92. Do you think I'll go far in life?
  93. What are you writing down?
  94. When will the human race end?
  95. Are there aliens?
  96. Democrat or Republican?
  97. Apple or Samsung?
  98. Which came first: chicken or egg?
  99. Theseus' ship
  100. Where are my upper abs?
  101. What's in your box?
  102. Have you had much success?
  103. What is the most interesting question you've had?
  104. What's the significance of the Higgs boson?
  105. What do the lasers look like they curve?
  106. What are the winning lottery numbers for next weekend?
  107. Who was the Greek mythological figure who flew too close to the sun?
  108. Who won the 1996 football World Cup?
  109. Who marched elephants over the Alps?
  110. How many licks does it take to finish a lollipop?
  111. Who was the song American Pie about?
  112. What is love?
  113. Have you seen my daughter?
  114. Is anyone giving out free beer?
  115. What's your favourite colour?
  116. How long am I going to live for?
  117. How long is a piece of string?
  118. What is the meaning of life?
  119. What has been the best bit of your life so far?
  120. How hot is it?
  121. Why do rainbows form after a rain storm?
  122. What is the most interesting question you've had so far?
  123. What is the most interesting question you've had so far?
  124. What can you tell me?
  125. Can I totally use your hand for a second?
  126. Do you know where the gin place is?
  127. Why are you writing down questions?
  128. What's in the box?
  129. How long are you here for?
  130. Answer to life, the universe and everything?
  131. Why do babies float?
  132. Have you heard the aquatic ape hypothesis?
  133. What do you do?
  134. Why do you know so much?
  135. If you ate yourself, would you double in size or disappear?
  136. Do you have long risla papers?
  137. Do you remember my question from earlier?
  138. Do you have information in your brain?
  139. From any domain?
  140. Why do fires smoke when you start them?
  141. Why don't M&Ms melt?
  142. Why they bring Rascals back?
  143. Is Tupac coming back next year?
  144. Do you believe I have healing hands?
  145. What is the most interesting or boring question you've been asked?
  146. Do you have acid?
  147. Do you like hash or mushrooms?
  148. Why do our eyes form images upside-down?
  149. Am I likely to get laid like this?
  150. Would I have to work on my personality?
  151. I've become a teacher. Is that good or bad?
  152. Can I offer you a drink?
  153. What is the meaning of like?
  154. How many hot dogs would it take to make an elephant fall asleep?
  155. What colour is the sky?
  156. Why is it blue?
  157. What is the ice albedo effect?
  158. What number is blue in the rainbow?
  159. What is the most famous quote from Richard Feynmann?
  160. How frequently do cicadas breed?
  161. What colour socks is my mom wearing today?
  162. What is on Zee's mind?
  163. Do you think you're good at this job?
  164. What do you think is the fate of humanity and the planet?
  165. Would you like to suck my dick?
  166. How are you?
  167. What's my name, bitch?
  168. Did we meet at Emmarentia dam?
  169. How's your mother?
  170. What am I going to ask next?
  171. How many questions do you answer "I don't know"?
  172. Do you like bubbles?
  173. What will. be the result for the Champions League finals?
  174. Yes or no?
  175. What has been your most interesting question so far?
  176. What's the time?
  177. How are you doing?
  178. If Pinnochio said "My nose is about to grow", what would happen?
  179. Why do I have this? [gestures to belly button]
  180. Why?
  181. Why?
  182. Why does he keep asking "why"?
  183. What are you doing?
  184. What are you doing?
  185. Why is it only possible to tell people they're beautiful when you're on E?
  186. Are you having fun?
  187. Are you writing everything down?
  188. Why did you come to Afrika Burn?
  189. Did you by any chance end up with our sun cream?
  190. Where's the cold beer?
  191. Do you answer all the questions?
  192. What?
  193. Whither?
  194. Why?
  195. Is it guaranteed?
  196. What's the craziest question you've had?
  197. Are you writing all the questions down?
  198. What are you going to do with them?
  199. What's your name?
  200. What's the blue box from Dr Who called?
  201. How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
  202. Why?
  203. What time is it?
  204. What's the most interesting question you've had so far?
  205. Have you been sitting here the whole day?
  206. What's the meaning of life?
  207. How did Burning Man start?

10 comments:

  1. A great read. The question that really got me thinking was no.74.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Number 74 also made me chuckle out loud! Lovely post Dean - sorry I didn't get to see you on the Playa.

      What is also making me chuckle is wondering what some of your answers might have been :D

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I forgot to thank you for this gift, very original and interesting!!!!

      Delete
  3. lol my question at 19.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool :) I like no. 487.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I'm glad my polaroid went to good use :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it came out very nicely - much better than the pictures I got my friends to take!

      Delete
  6. 74 got my vote as one of most creative questions! Wish I'd come across you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And now please write up your answers as well!

    ReplyDelete